Kansas State University Electrical Engineering B.S. 1991
Kansas State University Electrical Engineering M.S. 1993
Graduate advisor: Dr. M.S.P. Lucas
The University of Kansas
Instrumentation Design Laboratory
Electronics Design Engineer, 2007-2016
Senior Electronics Design Engineer, 2016-present
Y.R. Consulting, Lawrence, KS
PC Instruments, Inc., Akron, OH
Design Engineer, 1992-1999
Professional Publications, Patents
- “Millimeter-Resolution Mouse Force Tracker,” 2011 Invention Disclosure with Kenneth Ratzlaff, Stephen C. Fowler and George R. Fullen.
- “Modular Force Sensor System, Device, and Method for Behavioral Measurement”, United States Patent Number 2017/0049079, with Kenneth Ratzlaff, George R. Fullen and Stephen C. Fowler.
- "An efficient and inexpensive refrigerated LC system for H/D exchange mass spectrometry," Am. Soc. for Mass Spec., Submitted 2011 (with Theodore R. Keppel, Martin E. Jacques, Kenneth Ratzlaff and David D. Weis).
- “Design and Initial Performance of the Askaryan Radio Array Prototype eeV Neutrino Detector at the South Pole”, Astropart. Phys, 35, 457-477, 2012 (with the ARA Collaboration).
- “Updated results from the RICE experiment and future prospects for ultra-high energy neutrino detection at the south pole,” Physical Review D – Particles, Fields, Gravitation and Cosmology, 85(6), 062004, 2012 (with I. Kravchenko and co-workers.)
- “Design and Deployment of the Askaryan Radio Array South Pole Autonomous Renewable Power Stations,” RE&PQJ, X(11), 2013.
- "Design, Modeling and Testing of the Askaryan Radio Array South Pole Autonomous Renewable Power Stations,” NucInstrum. Meth., A763, 521-532, 2014, (D. Besson, et al.).
- “Time-domain response of the ARIANNA detector”, Astropart. Phys, 62, 139-151, 2015 (with the ARIANNA collaboration.)
- “Design and Performance of the ARIANNA Hexagonal Radio Array Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 60(2), 612-618, 2013 (with the ARIANNA collaboration.)
- “A First Search for Cosmogenic Neutrinos with the ARIANNA Hexagonal Radio Array,” Astropart. Phys., 70, 12-26, 2015 (with the ARIANNA collaboration.)
- “Design, Construction and Operation of a Low-Power, Autonomous Radio-Frequency Data-Acquisition Station for the TARA Experiment,” NucInstrum. Meth. A797, 110-120, 2015. (with the TARA collaboration.)
- "Design and Performance of the ARIANNA HRA-3 Neutrino Detector Systems,” IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, 62(5), 2202-2215, 2015 (with the ARIANNA collaboration.)
- “First constraints on the ultra-high energy neutrino flux from a prototype station of the Askaryan Radio Array,” Astropart. Phys., 70, 62-80, 2015 (with the ARA collaboration.)
- “Performance of two Askaryan Radio Array stations and first results in the search for ultra-high energy neutrinos,” Physical Review D, 93, 082003-1 – 082003-26, 2016.
- “Antarctic Surface Reflectivity Measurements from the ANITA-3 and HiCal-1 Experiments,” Journal of Astronomical Instrumentation, 6.2, 2017 (with the ANITA collaboration.)
- “Constraints on the Ultra-High Energy Neutrino Flux from the Gamma-Ray Bursts from a Prototype Station of the Askaryan Radio Array,” Astropart. Phys., 88, 7-16, 2017 (with the ARA collaboration).
- “Performance of two Askaryan Radio Array stations and first results in the search for ultra-high energy neutrinos,” Phys. Rev. D 93, 082003
- “The HiCal-2 Experiment,” in preparation, (with the ANITA collaboration).
- “Implementation of a custom time-domain firmware trigger for RADAR-based cosmic ray detection,” in preparation (David Besson, et al.)
- Designed components and programmed FPGA for use in unmanned UAV collision avoidance multichannel radar (with Lei Shi, Christopher Allen, UAVradars, NASA).
- Designed components of data acquisition system for use with small unmanned aircraft to enhance research into Kalman Filter based autopilot systems (with Shawn Keshmiri, M. Ewing).
- Designed components of a multi-channel data acquisition system for observing mating behavior of fruit-flies (with Kenneth Ratzlaff, Jennifer Gleason, and Kaila Colyott).
- Designed high frequency filter components and 250MHz data acquisition components for RADAR-based cosmic ray detection (with David Besson, et al.).
- Designed components of a NMR spin-speed controller (with Kenneth Ratzlaff and Eric Munson).
- Designed components of four channel load cell acquisition system for use in tracking movements of rodents (with Kenneth Ratzlaff and Steve Fowler).
- Designed and programming an FPGA-based test system for sub-systems of large Hadron Collider (CMS collaboration, Alice Bean).
- Multiple trips to South Pole as part of ARA collaboration to install and commission instrumentation.
- Designed and programmed components of the ARA Autonomous Power Generation System (with Kenneth Ratzlaff and David Z. Besson).
- Designed and programmed FPGA-based millimeter resolution force sensor for mouse movement tracking during drug and brain physiology studies (with Kenneth Ratzlaff, Stephen Fowler and George R. Fullen).
- Designed, programmed and built microprocessor controlled UniBlitz Shutter Sequencer for Michael Johnson (with Kenneth Ratzlaff).
- Designed, programmed and built portable instrumentation system to gather real-time pressure maps of feet & footwear while performing sports activities for AcuStep (Salina, KS)
- Designed and programmed FPGA based navigation (DME) equipment as part of team for Selex, ES
- Designed, programmed and built potentiostat accessories for Cypress Systems (now part of ESA Biosciences, Inc.).
- Designed, programmed and built 16-channel potentiostat for rapid testing of glucose monitoring strip, development program at Bayer, for Meat Probes, Inc.
- Designed, programmed and built custom pH meters for rapid testing of meat in cold environments for Meat Probes, Inc.
- Designed, programmed and built equipment for real-time grading of pork loins, ham shanks and beef primals for Meat Probes, Inc.
- Field service and training in the USA and abroad for PC Instruments, Inc. products.
- Designed automated calibration stations for high-speed sampling oscilloscopes and arbitrary waveform generators while at PC Instruments, Inc.
- Designed, programmed and built 200Gsps sampling oscilloscopes to interface to a PC bus for use in communication equipment testing while at PC Instruments, Inc.
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS
Woodworking using hand tools and methods from the 19th century and earlier.
Photography, particularly black & white film photography and darkroom work.